10 books every marketer should read
Marketing is constantly changing, and it is important for any marketer or business to stay abreast of this. Along with attending training days and workshops, you can also spend time reading great books that will offer real marketing insight and advice. But which do you opt for when there’s so much choice? Here’s our run-down of the top ten books you should be adding to your bookshelf…
1. Spin Sucks: Communication and Reputation Management in the Digital Age by Gini Gietrich
There’s a saying that ‘all PR is good PR’, but often being on the tail-end of negative feedback can actually be more of a hindrance than benefit. It’s important to always manage your reputation through your marketing; and with social media enabling greater communication amongst your customers than ever before, it’s important to find out how to achieve this balance – along with forming honest relationships with your customers.
2. Hug Your Haters by Jay Baer
3. The Challenger Customer: Selling to the Hidden Influencer Who Can Multiply Your Results by Brent Adamson, Pat Spenner, Nick Toman and Matthew Dixon
4. Buyer Personas: How To Gain Insight Into Your Customer’s Expectations, Align Your Marketing Strategies, and Win More Business by Adele Revella.
Understanding your customer can be hugely important, especially when deciding on what promotional products to use or how to develop your branding. It makes it less about guesswork and enables you to integrate more strategy into your marketing plan. This helps to bring discipline to your work, and build your outreach effectively.
5. The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini
This book has been revised many times over the last few years, constantly providing top insight into the latest marketing trends. It shows just how valuable it can be when you’re able to persuade your customer effectively, and apply a persuasive argument to your brand.
6. Marketing 4.0: Moving from Traditional to Digital by Philip Kotler and Hermawan Kartajaya
Released earlier this year, this book will help your business move into the hugely profitable digital arena. It will guide you on ways to influence your customer on their journey, getting them to become more aware and start acting. It contains plenty of practical advice and first-hand examples, showing how to boost productivity and redefine customer engagement.
7. Marketing In Less Than 1000 Words by Rob Burns
Available as a Kindle edition, this book has been downloaded over 40,000 times. You can read it within 15 minutes, meaning you don’t need to spend hours devoting time to pouring over it. It remains inspiring and thought-provoking, covering the major principles of successful marketing and learning how to understand your customer.
8. Profitable Social Media Marketing: How To Grow Your Business Using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn And More by Tom Kitchen, Yvonne Ivanescu, and Luke Nicholson
9. Content Marketing Strategy Guide: Your Formula For Achieving Success Across Social Media, PR and SEO by Jonny M Buchan
Your content plays a key role in how customers perceive and understand your brand. This is a light-hearted business book that is based on Jonny’s own experiences to provide you with a winning formula.
10. The Marketing Blueprint: Lessons to Market and Sell Anything by Jules Marcoux
Whether you’re an entrepreneur or marketing manager, managing director or CEO, this book has everything you need to get to the next level, without spending a fortune. It’ll help you get the competitive edge over others with your product or service, and ensure you optimise better opportunities more effectively.